Community Nursing Team
The Community Nursing Team is a generic and continuing care community based nursing service consisting of a community matron, team leader, registered children's community nurses, support workers, training staff and admin staff.
The purpose of the service is to enable children with acute or chronic health needs to receive nursing care within their preferred choice of place (usually the home).
Working with other agencies to provide holistic, family-centred care, which is respectful of all cultural needs.
The service provides the following support for children and young people:
- support for families, children and young people with long-standing nursing needs arising from complex medical conditions
- agreed nursing procedures for children and young people with acute needs - for example IV therapy at home
- follow-up of oxygen dependant babies and children
- assistance and support with enteral feeding
- palliative care support
- wound, scalds, burns, abscess, post operative care
- oncology and haematology care
- tracheostomy and ventilation support
- training and support for carers, family members or any organisation involved in the child's care
This list is not exhaustive and can include any nursing procedure that can safely be undertaken at home.