Clinical Skills - City Hospital
The Clinical Skills centre at City Hospital uses the very latest technology to train and develop clinical staff.
Typical courses include:
- Offshore medics
- Pre-hospital emergency practitioner
- Basic surgical skills
- Pre-hospital trauma life support
- Minor surgery
Contact the centre
Clinical Skills Centre Manager
Tel: 0115 993 4988 or 0115 969 1169 ext 54988
Room bookings and course enquirers
Conference and Operations Manager
Tel: 0115 993 4905
About the centre
The Clinical Skills Centre is designed to provide innovative and challenging education and training using state of the art facilities, including links to live theatres, video-conferencing, and the internet. It allows advanced clinicians to develop their skills in invasive procedures and to provide some assessment of their competency in these before practising on patients. It is the only centre in the region able to offer skills training in keyhole surgery techniques and cadaveric models.
The centre trains staff from a range of disciplines, both in hospital and pre-hospital providers and allied health professionals. GPs will also find it useful in practising minor surgical procedures under the expert guidance of our consultants. The facility is also available for hire on an ad hoc basis.
There is also more highly technical equipment aimed at developing endoscopic techniques including arthroscopic, laparoscopic and thorascopic skills.
Our vision is clear - to work closely with all disciplines and professions to ensure continuity and quality training, thus enabling the delivery of quality patient care within or out with the Trust. To expand regionally and nationally and to promote and develop a centre of excellence through innovative and competency based training. Adult education should be challenging but enjoyable, with the end result of a more skilled and rounded individual/practitioner.
The following equipment is available for training:
- Resuscitation mannequins
- Cannulation arms and pads
- Diabetic retinopathy trainer
- Ear diagnostic trainer
- Male and female pelvic trainers
- Laparascopic trainers
- Chest drain simulator
- Spinal injection trainer
- Knot tying jigs
- Central line trainer
- Procedicus MIST - a virtual reality endoscopic simulator validated for assessment of surgical skills.
Our multidisciplinary training room comprises:
- Surgical skills stations for endoscopic surgical training
- A live link to operating theatres and PGEC lecture theatre
- Videoconferencing links
- Wall mounted projection screen and LCD data/video projector
- DVD, CD and CD-ROM playback
- Internet and intranet access
- Induction loop for the hearing impaired
- Additional inputs for external audio, video and computer equipment
- Ultrasound imaging equipment
Maximum capacity: 25 people