Supporting your research career
Supporting your career
Working at NUH will enable you to access a range of local and national funding, and career opportunities, supported by our Research and Innovation team.
Through our NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre we are investing in the deveopment of new science and knowledge in translational research.
The Innovation Fund was set up in 2017 to fast-track collaborative research.
Medical Research Council
The Medical Research Council (MRC) suports research acorss all branches of science in hospitals, universities and in its own facilities and institutions.
Investing in people is a key element of the MRC’s strategic delivery plan. At any one time, the MRC supports about 5,000 people across a range of career stages via studentships, fellowships and grants, and through investments at universities, centres, institutes and units.
National Institute for Health Research
The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) is the nation's largest funder of health and care research. The NIHR:
- Funds, supports and delivers high quality research that benefits the NHS, public health and social care
- Engages and involves patients, carers and the public in order to improve the reach, quality and impact of research
- Attracts, trains and supports the best researchers to tackle the complex health and care challenges of the future
- Invests in world-class infrastructure and a skilled delivery workforce to translate discoveries into improved treatments and services
- Partners with other public funders, charities and industry to maximise the value of research to patients and the economy
The NIHR was established in 2006 to improve the health and wealth of the nation through research, and is funded by the Department of Health and Social Care. In addition to its national role, the NIHR supports applied health research for the direct and primary benefit of people in low- and middle-income countries, using UK aid from the UK government.
Your path in research
The NIHR has recently launched dedicated career information for people working in acute hospitals who want to know more about research opportunities. Whether you are taking your first steps or enhancing your research career, you can find out more by visiting the Your Path in Research pages on the NIHR website.