Mainstreaming cancer genetics
The resources below have been developed to support implementation of mainstreaming BRCA and PALB2 testing through cancer services in Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Derbyshire. We call this Mainstreaming Cancer Genetics (MCG).
This model of gene testing has been successfully implemented at other cancer genetics services such as the Marsden Hospital.
The resources listed here have been based around the published material from the Marsden Hospital and adapted for use within our Trust and the district hospital which we serve. Any of the specialist nurses or clinicians involved in the care of women with ovarian cancer or breast cancer can complete the training resources.
If you have queries please contact: email@example.com.
Steps for training
Steps for training
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time for face to face training.
- Watch the training videos before attending the face-to face teaching. Please view MCG ELM1 and MCG ELM2, on The Royal Marsden’s MCG YouTube channel.
- Read the frequently asked questions before the face to face training: MCG-FAQ1-website 2019.doc [doc] 369KB Face to face training to talk though any further questions and go through the protocol for testing and the consent procedure.
- You will be added to a list of clinicians who can order BRCA1/2 and PALB2 testing directly
- Consent form: MCG F1.doc [doc] 57KB
- Frequently asked questions booklet: MCG-FAQ1-website 2019.doc [doc] 369KB
- Protocol for the Nottingham gynae-oncology appointment: MCG P2 V4.pptx [pptx] 124KB
- Protocol for the Nottingham Breast Institute: MCG-P1-v3.pptx [pptx] 142KB
- Protocol for the Derby family history service: BrCa Mainstreaming pathway.pptx [pptx] 97KB
- Family history questionnaire: FHQ.xls [xls] 37KB
Information sheets for patients
- Information about BRCA and PALB2 testing: MCG IS1 v2 Pt info leaflet with PALB2.doc [doc] 113KB
- A normal BRCA1/2 +/- PALB2 result: MCG IS2 V2 Pt info - normal result (inc PALB2).doc [doc] 62KB
- A positive BRCA1/2 +/- PALB2 result: MCG IS3.doc [doc] 99KB
- A positive PALB2 result: MCG IS5 Pt info - PALB2 mutation.doc [doc] 100KB
- An unclassified variant: MCG IS4 v2 Pt info - VUS (inc PALB2).docx [docx] 98KB
- The Royal Marsden's Beginner's Guide to BRCA1/2
Suggested template letters for patients
- A normal BRCA1/2 result: mcg GRL1 V2.doc [doc] 77KB
- A positive BRCA1/2 or PALB2 result: MCG GRL2 template letter - mutn inc PALB2..doc [doc] 81KB
- Unclassified variant: MCG GRL3 v3.doc [doc] 78KB