Mainstreaming cancer genetics
The resources below have been developed to support implementation of mainstreaming BRCA and PALB2 testing through cancer services in Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Derbyshire. We call this Mainstreaming Cancer Genetics (MCG).
This model of gene testing has been successfully implemented at other cancer genetics services such as the Marsden Hospital.
The resources listed here have been based around the published material from the Marsden Hospital and adapted for use within our Trust and the district hospital which we serve. Any of the specialist nurses or clinicians involved in the care of women with ovarian cancer or breast cancer can complete the training resources.
If you have queries please contact: email@example.com.
Steps for training
Steps for training
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time for face to face training.
- Watch the training videos before attending the face-to face teaching. Please view MCG ELM1 and MCG ELM2, on The Royal Marsden’s MCG YouTube channel.
- Read the frequently asked questions before the face to face training: MCG-FAQ1-website 2019.doc [doc] 369KB Face to face training to talk though any further questions and go through the protocol for testing and the consent procedure.
- You will be added to a list of clinicians who can order BRCA1/2 and PALB2 testing directly
- Frequently asked questions booklet: MCG-FAQ1.doc [doc] 119KB
- Protocol for the Nottingham gynae-oncology appointment: MCG P2 V5 Ovarian Notts protocol.pptx [pptx] 116KB
- Protocol for the Nottingham Breast Institute: MCG P1 V4 Breast Notts protocol.pptx [pptx] 134KB
- Protocol for the Derby family history service: MCG P3 V2 Derby protocol.pptx [pptx] 91KB
- Family history questionnaire: FHQ.xls[xls] 37KB
Information sheets for patients
- Information about BRCA and PALB2 testing: MCG-IS1-v4-Pt-info-leaflet-with-PALB2.doc [doc] 113KB
- A normal BRCA1/2 +/- PALB2 result: MCG-IS2-V4-Pt-info-normal-result-inc-PALB2 (1).doc [doc] 63KB
- A positive BRCA1/2 result: MCG IS3-v3-BRCA positive.doc [doc] 100KB
- A positive PALB2 result: MCG IS5-v3 Pt info-PALB2 positive.doc [doc] 100KB
- An unclassified variant: MCG-IS4-v3-Pt-info-VUS-inc-PALB2.docx [docx] 97KB
- The Royal Marsden's Beginner's Guide to BRCA1/2
Suggested template letters for patients
- A normal BRCA1/2 or PALB2 result: MCG GRL1 normal result updated 2021.doc [doc] 77KB
- A positive BRCA1/2 result: MCG GRL2 BRCA mut updated 2021.doc [doc] 80KB
- A positive PALB2 result: MCG GRL4 PALB2 mutation updated 2021.doc [doc] 80KB
- Unclassified variant: MCG GRL3 VUS updated 2021.doc [doc] 78KB