Our leadership team
Our Research & Innovation leadership team is supported by expertise in:
- Clinical research
- Translational research
- Experimental and early phase research
- Industry partnerships
- Data and informatics
- Grant applications and sponsorship
- Intellectual Property and commercialisation
- Medical devices and technology
- End-to-end trials set up and management
- Governance and quality
- Patient and public involvement
How we organise our research
Clinical research is part of the care that we provide to patients at NUH.
The Research & Innovation department provides the skilled staff, expertise, facilities and quality assurance to set up, manage, deliver and share research across our hospitals.
Our research teams work alongside the teams in each service to co-ordinate clinical research trials alongside the care that you and your family are receiving.
Taking part in research is your choice and it will not affect the care you receive if you decide not to take part in a trial, or if there are no trials suitable for you.
Research in every service
Our research is organised across the six clinical divisions at NUH, with senior healthcare professionals leading the development of research in each one.
You can find more information about the research that is happening in each service area on these pages:
- Ambulatory Care
- Cancer and Associated Specialties
- Clinical Support
- Family Health, including Nottingham Children's Hospital
Clinical Academic Leadership
To support all healthcare professionals at NUH to get involved in research, we have a team of experienced clinical acdademics - healthcare professionals working in the NHS who combine teaching, research and caring for patients as part of their role. Their work is crucial in developing the next generation of researchers. They also help to ensure that the improvements in our knowledge about diseases, and the development of new treatments and care from research breakthroughs, is adopted by every healthcare professional working at NUH.
- Allied Health Professionals
- Healthcare Scientists
- Nurses & Midwives
Clinical leads for Research & Innovation
Clinical leadership is provided through the Clinical Director for Research and Innovation, supported by designated research leads in each of our Clinical Divisions:
- Ambulatory Care - Professor Anthony King
- Cancer & Associated Specialties - Dr Matthew Hall and Dr Will Green
- Clinical Support - Dr Alison Cowley and Dr Martin Beed
- Family Health - Dr Tabitha Randell
- Medicine - Dr Sherif Gonem and Dr Aamer Ali
- Surgery - Professor Benjamin Ollivere and Professor Roshan das Nair
And in our centres of research excellence:
- NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre - Professor Ian Hall, Director and Professor Guru Aithal, Deputy Director
- NIHR Nottingham Clinical Research Facility - Professor Stephen Ryder, Clinical Director and vacancy, Deputy Clinical Director
The Chief Operating Officer (Research Infrastructure), manages the back office systems (procurement, payroll, administration), data and research systems, the development of our Research Futures School and the infrastructure management for the NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre and NIHR Nottingham Clinical Research Facility.
The research delivery team co-ordinates research across NUH and with our centres of excellence. It provides dedicated research nurses, midwives, facilitators, practitioners and administrators who work directly with our Clinical Divisions to ensure effective delivery of clinical research. The team is also responsible for the development of our clinical research workforce and:
The Research Operations team provides a number of core functions essential to your research:
- Research trial development and management of trials
- Grant application and funding bids
- Research performance
The team can help your research with:
- end-to-end support, information and resources for all parts of the research lifecycle
- skilled research staff to help with every stage from study set-up and study site management; participant identification and recruitment; and participant follow-up
- Skills development, knowledge transfer and training for you and your team.
Commercial Research Team
We have a dedicated Commercial Team working with industry partners and developing commercial research trials. The team is also there to advise on Intellectual Property and commercialisation of research.
Governance & Quality Team
Our Governance and Quality Team is here to advise you on the quality and regulatory aspects of your research.
- Regulatory requirements
- Quality standards
- Ethics approval
- Guidelines, templates and procedures governing all clinical research activities at NUH