Our leadership team
Research & Innovation at NUH is led by a team of internationally recognised clinicians, academics and scientists.
At NUH we have dedicated facilities for research and a comprehensive research infrastructure that enables us to carry out life-changing research for our patients.
Our Research & Innovation leadership team is supported by expertise in:
- Clinical research
- Translational research
- Experimental and early phase research
- Industry partnerships
- Data and informatics
- Grant applications and sponsorship
- Intellectual Property and commercialisation
- Medical devices and technology
- End-to-end trials set up and management
- Governance and quality
- Patient and public involvement
Clinical leads for Research & Innovation
Clinical leadership is provided through the Clinical Director for Research and Innovation, supported by designated research leads in each of our Clinical Divisions:
- Ambulatory Care - Professor Anthony King
- Cancer & Associated Specialties - Dr Matthew Hall and Dr Will Green
- Clinical Support - vacancy
- Family Health - Dr Tabitha Randell
- Medicine - vacancy
- Surgery - Professor Benjamin Ollivere and Professor Roshan das Nair
And in our centres of research excellence:
- NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre - Professor Ian Hall, Director and Professor Guru Aithal, Deputy Director
- NIHR Nottingham Clinical Research Facility - Professor Stephen Ryder, Clinical Director and vacancy, Deputy Clinical Director
The Research Operations team provides a number of core functions essential to your research:
- Research trial development and management of trials
- Grant application and funding bids
- Research performance
- Data and research systems
The Chief Operating Officer (Research Infrastructure), manages the back office systems (procurement, payroll, administration), the development of our Research Futures School and the infrastructure management for the NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre and NIHR Nottingham Clinical Research Facility.
The research delivery team co-ordinates research across NUH and with our centres of excellence. It provides dedicated research nurses, midwives, facilitators, practitioners and administrators who work directly with our Clinical Divisions to ensure effective delivery of clinical research. The team is also responsible for the development of our clinical research workforce.
The team can help your research with:
- study support, information and resources management
- skilled research staff to help with every stage from study set-up and study site management; participant identification and recruitment; and participant follow-up
- Skills development, knowledge transfer and training for you and your team.
Commercial Research Team
We have a dedicated Commercial Team working with industry partners and developing commercial research trials. The team is also there to advise on Intellectual Property and commercialisation of research.
The media team for Research and Innovation
Media and Marketing Team
Research and Innovation at NUH has a dedicated Media and Marketing team.
They act as a first point of contact for UK and international media enquiries relating to clinical research and innovation at:
- NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre
- NIHR Nottingham Clinical Research Facility; and
- for requests to interview our research experts.
Meet the team
T: +44 (0)115 924 9924 Extension: 80669
Ashley Rolfe, Research Digital Communications Manager
- Follow us on Twitter: @ResearchNUH and @NottmBRC
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Subscribe to our Clinical Research Podcast on your favourite podcast app
Out of hours media enquiries
Outside of office hours, for any urgent media enquiry, please contact the NUH Corporate Communications team.
The Patient and Public Involvement Team
Patient and Public Involvement
Nottingham has a long-established expertise in public and patient involvement in research. We support researchers through:
- ensuring patients are at the centre of the research that we do
- managing our Research Volunteers programme
- advice on planning, costing and developing patient involvement as part of a clinical trial
- supporting patients, carers and the public to take part in our research