We have a dedicated, maternity, physiotherapy team available to support you during your pregnancy and for up to six weeks after your baby is born. Physiotherapy clinics are available at both the City Hospital and QMC.
We offer you assessments and treatments during your pregnancy (antenatal) for the following:
- Pregnancy related back pain
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Pelvic floor muscle rehabilitation and associated problems
- Pregnancy related carpal tunnel syndrome
We also offer assessment and treatment for up to six weeks after your baby is born (postnatal) for the following disorders:
- Tummy weakness including separation of the abdominal muscles
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Urinary incontinence (stress, urgency or mixed incontinence)
- Bowel urgency or leakage
- Perineal dysfunction
You can find the contact details to self-refer to our physiotherapy services in your Part 1 Maternity Pack.
City Campus Physio direct details:
0115 9691169 Ext 77792
24 hr voicemail
QMC campus Physio Direct details:
0115 9249924 Ext 83255
24 hr voicemail
This is an answerphone service so please do leave your message, including your name and phone number and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
We offer an initial triage service (assessment) on the phone and if appropriate, you will be offered a face-to-face appointment to discuss your treatment plan.
Antenatal and Post Natal Physiotherapy Classes
All our classes are still being run on a virtual basis and you can access details of what’s available in our area on our Parent and Antenatal Class pages
Information and Advice
We have a range of self-help leaflets with advice and information on exercises you can do at home. Please visit our library to access this information.
- Pelvic Advice Pelvic girdle pain and lower back pain management in pregnancy
- Perinatal Exercises
- Gym Ball Exercise Programme
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Pregnancy
- Tummy Check, Post Natal Abdominal Muscle Rehabilitation
- Physical Activity for Pregnant Women
- Returning to impact exercise: A postnatal guide - please visit You Tube to view this video
There are a number of organisations providing physiotherapy advice and support and as a starting point you may wish to visit the Pelvic Obstetric and Gynaecological Physiotherapy network (POGP). This is a UK based Professional Network affiliated to the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy - www.thepogp.co.uk
One of their very useful information booklets contains a safe set of exercises and advice to help new mothers recover after childbirth. The Fit for the Future booklet can be downloaded here.
Learn more about our antenatal exercise class here and in the video below - more information is available in our Parent & Antenatal Classes section: