Additional support & Troubleshooting

There are lots of different resources available to help you with your hearing and hearing aid. Please click one of the options below for more information.

Troubleshooting behind the ear hearing aids

If you think a hearing aid isn’t working please try the following:

  • check it hasn’t been switched to the T setting
  • check that any volume control is set to the correct level
  • check the battery is inserted correctly
  • try inserting a new battery
  • remove the hearing aid and check that the earmould is not blocked
  • check the tubing isn’t twisted, squashed or split
  • check for droplets of condensation in the tubing. Any droplets can be removed by gently pulling the soft tubing off the hooked part of the aid and blowing down it

If you have a body-worn aid, the lead may need to be replaced.

If your hearing aid is making the following sounds - whistling, squealing, sizzling or buzzing:

  • if the hearing aid is whistling, squealing, sizzling or buzzing this could be feedback, which happens when sound from your hearing aid leaks out and gets picked up by its microphone. Alternatively:
  • you may not have put the earmould in properly – try pushing it gently
  • you may have excess wax in your ears – ask your GP to check
  • check the volume hasn’t been set too high
  • check the aid hasn’t been switched to the T setting
  • contacting your hearing aid centre

You may need to ask your hearing aid centre for help if:

  • the earmould has cracked or does not fit snugly enough
  • the hooked part of the hearing aid has cracked or come loose
  • the tubing has split and you are not able to replace this yourself

If you have checked all the above and need further help, call us to arrange a hearing aid repair appointment using the telephone number or e-mail address below:

Tel: 0115 919 4488

Replacement batteries, tubing and domes

Getting new Batteries

New batteries are supplied free of charge and are available either your GP surgery or local Health Centre.
You will need your battery issue card when collecting batteries, if someone is collecting on your behalf they will also need this.
If you are unable to collect batteries locally please contact us via e-mail detailing what batteries you require & we will post some out to you:

Spares (tubes & domes)

Spare tubing/domes can be obtained at Ropewalk house (subject to availability).
Available 8:30am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
You can collect these items yourself or someone else can collect on your behalf – please bring your hearing aid record book / battery issue card that was issued to you.
If you unable to collect them yourself/get someone to on your behalf, please e-mail your requirements to:



Self-Help Videos

The following videos, provided by C2HEAR, are designed to help you with the care & maintenance of your hearing aid.

Hearing aid retubing


Caring for Hearing aids with earmoulds


Troubleshooting hearing aids with earmoulds


Caring for hearing aids with slim tubes


Troubleshooting hearing aids with slim tubes

You can find additional resources to help you with your hearing aid on C2Hears Website:


Hearing aid repair clinics

In addition to Ropewalk House, we offer Hearing aid repair clinics at the following locations:

  • Carlton Health Centre – Monday mornings
  • Keyworth Health Centre (repairs and triage) - Monday Afternoons
  • Bulwell Health Centre (repairs and triage) – Tuesday Mornings
  • Clifton Health Centre – Tuesday Mornings
  • Lark Hill Retirement Village – Tuesday afternoon (once a month)
  • Hucknall Health Centre and Arnold Health Centre – Wednesday Mornings
  • Arnold Health Centre – Wednesday Afternoons
  • West Bridgford Health Centre – Thursday morning 2nd & 4th Thursdays of the month
  • Bingham Health Centre -Thursday Afternoon 2nd & 4th Thursdays of the month
  • Bulwell Health Centre (triage only)  – Thursday Afternoons 
  • Beeston Health Centre – Friday mornings
  • Eastwood Health Centre - Friday mornings
  • Stapleford Health Centre (repairs and triage) – Friday mornings

All clinics listed above offer repairs unless otherwise stated. 

Repair or replacement of faulty hearing aids, which includes:

  • servicing including routine replacement of filters and accessories
  • impressions for replacement earmoulds
  • modification of earmoulds for comfort and acoustic reasons
  • minor adjustment to hearing aid settings.

Some of the clinics above (as indicated) offer triage, which includes:

  • triage for reassessment of hearing aid needs
  • hearing reassessment for people with obsolete hearing aids
  • hearing reassessment for people whose hearing needs have changed
  • minor adjustment to hearing aid settings
  • signposting and referral for further management.

Loss of Hearing aids

If you have lost or damaged your hearing aid, and require a replacement, please contact us.

Throughout its use, your aid remains the property of the NHS and is on loan to you.

For lost aids, depending on the nature of the loss, you may be charged an administration fee for a replacement. The current charge is £78 (including VAT)

Please be assured that all cases are thoroughly reviewed before a decision to charge is made.

To report a lost or damaged hearing aid, or for more information on our loss of aid policy please contact 

Additional support

Equipment for hearing at home

Specialising in equipment and advice for people with a hearing loss, your local council sensory impairment team has access to a range of equipment to loan, or can advise on what to buy, to help you hear better at home.
They can provide alerting equipment for: Front door, Smoke alarm, Telephone, Alarm clock, Loop to aid listening to the TV. They do not provide amplified telephones or Carbon Monoxide detectors but can advise on where to purchase these

Nottingham City Council

Contact: Occupational Therapy Team Nottingham Health and Care Point (NHCP)
Email :
Telephone: 03001310300 option 2 Adult Social Care
SMS: 07944 040073

Nottinghamshire County Council

Contact: Adult Deaf and Visual Impairment Service
Email :
Telephone: 0300 500 8080
Relay UK: (18001) 0115 977 4050

Smoke Alarm Assessment

If you have difficulty hearing a smoke alarm, there are alternative models available with flashing lights to catch your attention or a vibrating pad for under your pillow. Contact your local fire service to see whether you are eligible for a free Home Fire Safety Check.

Contact: Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service
Telephone: 0115 838 8100 or 0115 967 0880
Text: 07766 299 999    Quote ‘Deaf Alarm’

Concessionary travel

Disabled persons railcard

If you are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid then you qualify for a Disabled Persons Railcard. This allows you to get 1/3 off most rail fares throughout Great Britain. For more information, contact:

Telephone:     0345 605 0525
Textphone:     0345 601 0132

Concessionary bus passes in Nottingham

Nottingham City Council

Nottingham city council offer a mobility pass. You must have a minimum of 70dB hearing loss in both ears to be eligible.

Alternatively apply in person at the Travel Centre, 1-4 Smithy Row, Nottingham, NG1 2BY

Nottinghamshire County Council

Nottingham city council offer a disabled persons bus pass. You must have a minimum of 70dB hearing loss in both ears to be eligible.

Website: Link
Telephone:    0300 500 8080
Relay UK:    18001 0115 9774050

Access to work

To get an Access to Work grant you must have a disability, health condition or mental health condition that affects your ability to work.  Access to work may award a grant which can be used for equipment or modifications to equipment to enable you do your job.
When you apply the Department for Work and Pensions will contact your employer someone might visit you at work.  If you have a mental health condition someone will talk to you before anyone contacts your employer.

When you contact Access to Work you’ll need:

· Your workplace address, including your postcode
· The name, email address and work phone number of a workplace contact (your manager, for example)
· Your unique tax reference number (if you’re self-employed)

Telephone: 0800 121 7479
Textphone: 0800 121 7579
Relay UK: 18001 0800 121 7479

Disabled student allowance

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) provide extra financial help for disabled students. You may get DSAs if you have a disability (e.g. hearing), ongoing health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia.
You can get help with the costs of:

· Specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability
· Non-medical helpers
· Extra travel because of your disability
· Other disability-related costs of studying


Charities & courses



“We work across the UK so people with hearing loss are supported and can live the life they choose.”


Hearing Link

“Hearing Link is a UK-wide charity, active in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland for people with any level of hearing loss, their families and friends.”


Tinnitus UK

“We are an independent charity supporting thousands of people who experience tinnitus…”


Sign language and lip-reading courses

For an up-to-date list of classes available in your area please visit one of the following websites:

British Sign Language (BSL) courses:


Lip-reading courses:


Can you help us improve our website?

Please help us to improve the Nottingham University Hospitals website by filling in this short six question survey.

Complete the website survey

*If you have filled in this survey, press the X in the top right corner