Click below to download Safeguarding Adults Advice for COVID-19 Mutual Aid Groups

Click below to download Safeguarding Adults Advice for people who are Self-Isolating


What you need to know

The Trust is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of babies, children, young people and vulnerable adults. It is their right to be kept safe from harm, abuse or neglect.

Abuse may consist of single or repeated actions and maybe:  

  • Physical

  • Sexual

  • Neglect

  • Emotional/psychological

  • Financial

  • Organisational

  • Discriminatory

  • Self-Neglect

  • Domestic Violence

  • Modern Slavery


Safeguarding babies, children and young people

The Trust has a Head of Safeguarding, a named nurse, nurse specialists, named midwife, specialist midwives and named doctors who lead on issues related to child protection.

If concerns are raised about a baby, child or young person in our hospitals, the Trust's Children's Safeguarding team, nurses and doctors work closely with the child, parents, wider family members, schools, the police and children’s social care.

If you suspect that a baby or child is being abused or neglected, contact the following numbers:

If you are a member of the public and are concerned about a baby, child or a young person please call Nottingham City Social Care (Children and Families Direct) on 0115 876 4800 or Nottinghamshire County 0300 500 8090 during office hours or the Emergency Duty team out of hours, the number for the City team is the same as the day time contact. Nottinghamshire County Children's social care out of hours contact number is 0300 456 4546.

Further information is available on the below links:

Nottingham City Safeguarding Children's Partnership Nottinghamshire Safeguarding Children's Partnership

Safeguarding adults

The Trust has a Head of safeguarding, an adult safeguarding lead a named doctor and safeguarding specialists for safeguarding adults at risk.

An adult at risk is anyone aged 18 years or over:

  • Who is or may be in need of community services because of mental or other illness, disability or age, and

  • Who is, or maybe unable to protect themselves against serious harm or exploitation

If you are concerned that an adult at risk is being abused contact:

If you are a member of the public and are concerned about an adult at risk of abuse please call Nottingham City Adult Social Care on 0300 131 0300 or Nottinghamshire County Adult social care on 0300 500 8090

Further information is available on the or

Why it's important

Everyone at the Trust has a responsibility for safeguarding. If you are worried about the safety or welfare of a baby, child or vulnerable adult/adult at risk, you can talk to the ward manager, senior sister or matron or safeguarding teams, use the following contact numbers to share your concerns.

Contacting the Police

If someone is in immediate danger, ring 999

If a crime has been committed, but there is no immediate danger, ring 101

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust Safeguarding Teams

If you wish to speak to someone at the hospital about a safeguarding matter you can contact the:-

Adult team on 0115 924 9924 Ext: 81627 

Children's team on 0115 924 9924 Ext: 82921 

Safeguarding Midwives on 0115 924 9924 Ext: 84048

From 8.30 to 17:00 Monday to Friday, or the site matron via the hospital switchboard at all other times. 

Domestic abuse and violence

If you want to access support over the phone, you can call:

  • National Domestic Violence Helpline – 0808 2000 247

  • The Men’s Advice Line, for male domestic abuse survivors – 0808 801 0327

  • The Mix, free information and support for under 25s in the UK – 0808 808 4994

  • National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0800 999 5428

  • Samaritans (24/7 service) – 116 123