Arts at NUH
The Arts Coordinator is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of an arts provision and associated initiatives to improve the health care environment and experience primarily for patients who have dementia, their carers and staff through the use of all forms of visual and participatory arts within NUH sites.
The role is kindly funded by Nottingham Hospitals Charity. For more information please contact Megan Dawes, Arts Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
NUH Arts Trails project
The NUH Arts Coordinator and Active Hospitals lead are currently developing Arts Trails at NUH, to encourage patients, staff and visitors to explore the arts collection and get moving at the same time.
We would like to hear your thoughts on your current experience of art at NUH to inform the project by completing this short survey:
This project is kindly supported using public funding by Arts Council England and Nottingham Hospitals Charity.
If you have any questions about the arts trail or would like to be kept updated, please contact the Arts Coordinator and/or Active Hospitals lead at NUH.
Latest News and Updates
Keep track of our latest news and updates below:
- Read more about our artworks on loan from Paintings in Hospitals and their impact HERE
- Our Dementia Choir with Vicky McClure visit Beeston Ward. Read more and watch the video HERE
- RITA (Reminscence Interactive Therapy Activities) has arrived on our HCOP wards! This is an award winning digital therapy and patient experience technology. Read more about RITA HERE.
- Wolfson Cystic Fibrosis Centre and City Arts partnership project 'Colours of Life' draws to a close. Read all about it HERE. Thank you to the funders, Nottingham Hospital Charity.
- To thank everyone in our local community that took part in our Christmas performances, Nottingham Hospital Charity have kindly put together a video that can be viewed HERE.
- Take a look at our NEW arts and activities posters to help inpatients and outpatients access resources:
- Megan's Desert Island Books for NUH Library Services can be found here - Megan Dawes, Arts Coordinator (wordpress.com)
- Staff Arts Champions at NUH had their first meeting in November 2021 to discuss how to engage more patients and staff in arts and activities and share best practise. If you are interested, please contact Megan for more information.
- Meet Our New Arts Coordinator Megan | Nottingham Hospitals Charity
Reading and Listening
- Ebooks for patients | NUH (including e-magazines, newspapers and audiobooks)
- National Storytelling Week 2022. Poetry from staff at the University of Nottingham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEp6uAa9c_0, Dr Kevin Harvey, School of English at the University of Nottingham reads ‘Under the Waterfall’ - YouTube
- Nottingham Hospital Radio Podcast - The Interviews - Nottingham Hospitals Radio (nhradio.org.uk)
- NUH Desert Island Books (wordpress.com)
- Silva Lining's Care Plan Podcast - the story - 2BU Productions
To search for arts organisations and groups in Nottingham City, please visit the Ask Lion directory.
To search for arts organisations and groups in the Nottinghamshire County, please visit the Notts Help Yourself directory.
To find out more about Nottingham Hospitals Choir (open to NHS staff and general public), please click HERE.
City Arts Blue to Green - find out more HERE
RITA is here!
RITA stands for Reminiscence Interactive Therapy Activities. RITA is a computer/tablet device with activities on and is available on all Healthcare of the Older Person wards.
On RITA, you can access games, music, films, picture activities, historical sporting clips and much more!
Please ask a member of staff on the ward for RITA if you are a patient, carer or visitor.
Arts and Activities
The following links are for free arts and activities:
- Armchair Gallery | Armchair Gallery brings world-class art & culture to you (digital resource, DF)
- Boredom Buster (kindly created by Jodie Paterson, DF) – Boredombuster.pdf [pdf] 11MB
- Create to Connect - Project - City Arts (Nottingham) (city-arts.org.uk) - free downloadable resource
- Adult Coloring Pages · Download and Print for Free ! - Just Color
- Origami Instructions - Instructions on How to Make Origami (origami-instructions.com)
- Treasury of Arts Activities for Older People: Volume 2 - The Baring Foundation
*DF – Dementia Friendly content.
- BBC Music Memories - Home (bbcrewind.co.uk) (DF)
- M4D Radio – Welcome To M4D Radio (DF)
- Musical Care Pathway (article) from Music for Dementia (DF) - Our journey with music through dementia – Music for Dementia
- Nottingham Hospital Radio - Nottingham Hospitals Radio (nhradio.org.uk)
- NUH Panto Society - previous shows available HERE
- Playlist for Life – Personal music for dementia (DF)