Top Tips before you start

Helpful tips for Medical and Dental Staff in Nottingham

We have devised some need to know information to get you settled in and ready for your new career at Nottingham University Hospitals.


Looking for Accomodation

Looking for Accommodation 

When looking for accommodation (buying or renting) try to search for areas that are easy to commute to from both our Queen’s Medical Centre campus and our City Hospital campus.  

Residential areas near to QMC hospital are Beeston, West Bridgford, Wollaton, Lenton, Dunkirk and areas near to City Hospital are Arnold, Daybrook, Mapperley, Sherwood and Carrington.

Websites such as Right Move and Zoopla advertise a range of properties to rent or buy.  

An alternative option to finding your own accommodation is shared properties where you rent a room. Take a look at the SpareRoom website for more details.

To rent, you will need:

  • a deposit (usually your first months’ rent fee)
  • other admin fees – ask for a breakdown of these fees
  • proof of identity, immigration status and employment status.

Try to view the property physically and if unable to then ask for a virtual tour.

On site accommodation is very limited and usually in high demand. However, it is worth making an enquiry using the below links:

Derwent Living - Places for People

In addition to the above and for local information there are various social media Facebook pages that may be useful:

We Are # TeamNUH- Our trust Facebook page where you may find information about the local area, transport links and links to accommodation.

International Medical Graduates (IMGs) in the UK- A helpful page set up by IMG doctors, for IMG doctors. Very responsive to queries from around the UK

Nottingham University guest accommodation

If you would like to make a booking for Cripps annexe please use this link:

Prices are around:

  • £45.00 Inc VAT For a Single Bedded Room with a shared bathroom per night room only
  • £55.00 Inc VAT For a Double Bedded Room with a shared bathroom per night room only
  • £65.00 Inc VAT For a Double Bedded Room with an en-suite bathroom per night room only

Transport In Nottingham

Transport in Nottingham

Medilink – Free bus service free to all NUH staff for travel between City and QMC campuses - just show your staff ID badge. The link below will take you to the route the Medilink takes and it’s stops.

medilink Route: Schedules, Stops & Maps - City Hospital (Updated) (

Getting around by bus- Nottingham City Transport (

Getting around by Tram- Home ( - QMC has its own tram stop

Train Information- Trains to Nottingham | Cheap train tickets | EMR (

Register with a GP

Register with a GP

Make sure to register with a GP. You do not have to pay to register with a GP and once you have registered, there is no charge to see your GP. However, if you are prescribed any medication, then you may have to pay for this.

Please click on the links below to find out how to register with a GP or Dentist.




Managing your Finances

Managing your Finances 

When moving to the United Kingdom, it’s essential that you get your finances to ensure you can support yourself and your family. This relates to any short-term money needs as well as long-term financial management, including:

Bank accounts - Research your banking options before you arrive, including retail banks in the UK. Please click on the link below to a useful website for more information Opening a bank account in the UK: a how-to guide | Expatica

  • You may need a ‘confirmation of employment letter’ from us to help you open a bank account. Please request this from your recruitment contact
  • You may already have a National Insurance (NI) number which will be printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). If you do not have one, you must apply for a National Insurance number as soon as you are in the UK.

Getting a UK Sim Card

Getting a UK Sim Card

An important part of settling in the UK is obtaining a UK sim card for your mobile.  Not only will this give you a cheap and easy way to keep in touch with your friends back home, but it will also mean that you’re more contactable in the UK. And this is especially true if your existing mobile operator doesn’t offer free roaming in the UK.

You have two options when it comes to a UK SIM card: a prepaid SIM or a phone contract. The right option for you will depend on your circumstances but here are a few network providers:

  • Giffgaff
  • Vodaphone
  • Three
  • EE

Pre-Employment Checks

Pre-Employment Checks

After you have been given a written conditional offer we will start all the checks we need to do prior to us making a final offer and agreeing a start date. You will receive emails from our ‘TRAC’ website as to the status of those checks.

For further information please click on the following link: Our candidate journey | NUH

Other Jobs at Nottingham University Hospitals

Other Jobs

We have many other medical jobs available throughout the year at various levels. Please apply via NHS Jobs, making sure you review the person specification first to make sure you meet the criteria for the role. Please note it is unlikely we will shortlist you without GMC registration in place.

Pay Information

Pay Information

Our locally employed doctors are employed on our local terms and conditions which are based on the current doctors in training terms and conditions.

Can you help us improve our website?

Please help us to improve the Nottingham University Hospitals website by filling in this short six question survey.

Complete the website survey

*If you have filled in this survey, press the X in the top right corner