The Department of Endocrine Surgery of Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust a well-established service with a long tradition of clinical and academic excellence. It consists of a team of 2 experienced endocrine surgeons who are committed to providing excellent care for patients with thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal disorders.
We are one of the largest centres in UK. As a regional service we support patients from across a wide area and receive referrals from other hospitals.
Our endocrine surgery service works closely with the Department of Endocrinology to provide complete high-level care for all endocrine diseases that require a surgical intervention. The surgical management of patients with thyroid and adrenal disorders is reviewed and discussed in the relevant Multidisciplinary Team meeting (MDT).
Our experienced surgeons use state-of-the-art technology in their operations to provide excellent outcomes.
Parathyroid operations are performed with the use of intraoperative nerve monitoring, intraoperative Parathyroid (PTH) measurement and preoperative fibreoptic laryngoscopy.
We offer all spectrums of parathyroid operations for primary hyperparathyroidism including:
- Normocalcemic and normohormonal hyperparathyroidism
- Bilateral neck explorations (non-localised/negative preoperative scans)
- Redo-parathyroidectomy after previously failed neck exploration (persistent or recurrent hyperparathyroidism)
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy
- Parathyroid operation for parathyroid cancer
We also offer parathyroid operations for secondary/tertiary hyperparathyroidism.
Thyroid operations are performed with the use of intraoperative nerve monitoring and preoperative fibreoptic laryngoscopy.
We offer all spectrums of thyroid operations including major thyroid cancer surgery with lymph node neck dissection and reoperations. The disorders that we treat include:
- Thyroid cancer (papillary, follicular, medullary)
- Rare and genetic diseases including Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia (MEN 1 and MEN2)
- Thyroid nodules (retrosternal goitre)
- Neck lumps
- Graves' disease / thyrotoxicosis
Adrenal operations are tailored to the individual and the underlying disorder and include minimally invasive approach (laparoscopic) operations and oncologic operations.
We work closely with our colleagues from the Department of Genetics for the patients with an adrenal disease that have a genetic background.
We offer all spectrums of adrenal operations including
- Adrenal nodules
- Cushing's syndrome (Hypercortisolism)
- Conn's syndrome (Hyperaldosteronism)
- Extra-adrenal abdominal paraganglioma
- Adrenal malignancies
- Gallbladder disorders
- Hernias – groin and abdominal wall
The Department of Endocrine Surgery is active in the fields of translational clinical and basic science research. There is a constant effort to use research findings to improve patient care.