National centre for LAM
Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) is a rare multi-system disease, which almost exclusively affects women. LAM can cause progressive loss of lung function, leading to breathlessness, lung collapse and lymphatic problems in the chest and abdomen.
The National Centre for Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) is a comprehensive clinical service for patients with LAM. It provides clinical care:
- diagnostic workup of patients with suspected LAM
- ongoing respiratory care either exclusively at the centre or in partnership with local providers
- clinical and genetic evaluation of Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) in patients with LAM and evaluation of LAM in patients with TSC
- evaluation and monitoring of renal angiomyolipoma
- surgical assessment and treatment of complications
- pre lung transplant evaluation and referral
In conjunction with the University of Nottingham, the LAM centre is also a hub for clinical trials of new therapies for LAM, evaluation of biomarkers, outcome and laboratory research into the molecular basis of the disease.
Be LAM aware
As LAM is rare, many doctors in general practice and Accident and Emergency will not be familiar with the disease. If you have any symptoms of pneumothorax or bleeding angiomyolipoma it may help to show them the text below. We recommend you copy and paste this into your smartphone or print it out and keep it in your wallet or bag.
This patient has lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM), a rare disease characterised by lung cysts, lymphatic abnormalities and angiomyolipoma, a benign renal tumour. Women with LAM can have recurrent pneumothorax, airflow obstruction causing respiratory failure and acute bleeding from angiomyolipomas. Symptoms consistent with pneumothorax or renal bleeding should be investigated urgently.
Contact us and find us
Queen's Medical Centre
Getting to us
You will need to use a lift or scale stairs to access this serivce.
- Hospital maps QMC
- Medilink and Park and Ride
- Travel by tram
- Travel by bus
- Travel by car and parking
- Travel by bike