The gastroenterology wards at QMC accommodate patients who are being treated for a variety of gastroenterology conditions relating to the liver, intestines and colon. Care is also provided for patients who have complications before or after surgery where alternative methods of feeding are required, such as intravenously or via a tube directly into the stomach or small intestine.
Ward rounds start at 8am Monday to Thursday. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays ward round times vary.
Consultants are available to speak to family members with the patient's permission. Contact the appropriate ward receptionist or nursing team to arrange a convenient time.
- Ward contact: 0115 924 9924 ext 69021/68444/62935
- Location: F Floor, West block, QMC
- Contact details: 0115 924 9924 ext 69022
Visiting times for both wards are 2.30pm to 8.30pm daily. Relatives may sometimes visit outside these hours by agreement with the nurse in charge. Children may visit relatives on the ward but it is the responsibility of the parents to ensure they are not disruptive to the ward environment.
We encourage relatives to help with meals if they wish to.
Both wards are on F Floor, West block at QMC.
Your stay on the ward
The gastro-medical wards care for both male and female patients. To help make your admittance, stay and discharge run smoothly we ask all patients to please:
- Bring in any medication you normally take at home when admitted to the ward
- Bring toiletries and nightwear. You’re welcome to wear day clothing if you wish but the ward does not have facilities to launder any personal clothing.
- Bring good footwear to prevent falls.
- Try to provide your own transport home when you know you are being discharged home.
You may be asked to wait for your medications and transport in the discharge lounge before going home. This helps us ensure that beds are made available as early as possible for new patients coming into the ward.