Clinical Pathology at NUH comprises five specialist departments:
- Clinical Chemistry
- Diagnostic Haematology
- Blood Transfusion
- Molecular Diagnostics
We provide a wide range of analytical and advisory services, which are available for inpatients, outpatients and the community at large. As you would expect from a large teaching hospital this service is backed up with training and research programmes designed to improve patient care.
To ensure the highest standard of work we participate in extensive internal and external quality assurance schemes.
A UKAS accredited medical laboratory - No 8848.
For information about tests that are covered in this scope please refer to the UKAS website.
Any tests performed in Clinical Pathology that are not accredited are identified on the test report. Calculations based on accredited tests may not themselves be accredited. Please contact the laboratory if you have questions regarding the validation of calculated results.
Click here to download the Clinical Pathology Service Directory
Click here to download the Antenatal Screening Services Handbook
Clinical Pathology at NUH is provided by an expert team of over 200 staff working across our laboratories and offices.
Service Manager: Mr Tom Atack 0115 924 9924 Ext: 61129
Clinical Head of Service: Dr Peter Prinsloo 0115 969 1169 Ext: 57271
Clinical Pathology user survey 2020
Our annual survey was sent to a variety of our users in January 2020. Many thanks to all that took time to reply. We feel the feedback is very useful and would encourage any further communication in order to improve our services.
The results of the survey are:
- Some users felt the service directory information around job titles and phone numbers was not clear. This is being reviewed.
- All comments about issues with turnaround times were investigated. There are on-going discussions with some users about how some tests can be improved. We always welcome feedback on TATs and are happy to discuss specific issues. The best way is to contact the department quality manager.
- All comments about repertoire of tests were reviewed and no issues were identified at present.
- Issues around report content (such as not including clinical details) will only be addressed by the full use of order comms in all areas.
- The overall rating for the services within clinical pathology was good and this has been communicated to all staff within the department.
Serology Testing - Letter to clinicians
Contact and find us
Please be aware that we cannot provide results directly to patients: results will only be provided to the GP or Consultant managing your care.
Tel: 0115 924 9924
Chemistry/haematology/immunologygeneral enquiries - Ext: 61168
Blood transfusion - Ext: 63660
Duty biochemist (biochemistry advice and interpretation) - Ext: 88680
Tel: 0115 969 1169
Urgent requests - Ext: 55084
General enquiries: chemistry; haematology - Ext: 61168 or for urgent requests Ext: 55084
Blood transfusion - Ext: 55600
Duty biochemist (biochemistry advice and interpretation) - Ext: 59729
Off the Physiotherapy corridor
For security reasons visits to our laboratories must be pre-arranged and all visitors will be escorted.