Research Passports

The Research Passport system allows researchers who have no employment contract with an NHS Trust to apply to carry out research. This application process ensures that all of the necessary employment, clinical and regulatory safeguards are in place.

The Government set out its standards in the Research in the NHS: Human Resource (HR) Good Practice Resource Pack to streamline the process of gaining access for research.

There are two forms of access that may be granted to research staff:

Honorary Research Contract (HRC)

If the research activities involve patients or any aspect of patient care and the applicant is not a contracted member of NHS staff, then they will be required to apply for an HRC.

Letter of Access (LoA)

The LoA may be approprite for applicants who will not be working with patients or any aspect of patient care.

This can take the form of an NHS-NHS LoA for applicants who already hold a contract with the NHS at another Trust, but who wish to work with NUH for research purposes (including clinical academics who hold Honorary clinical contracts with other Trusts).

To apply for a Research Passport at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

For further information, please email the Research & Innovation Team.

Can you help us improve our website?

Please help us to improve the Nottingham University Hospitals website by filling in this short six question survey.

Complete the website survey

*If you have filled in this survey, press the X in the top right corner