Reasons to choose NUH
Deciding the right place to start or to develop your career in nursing and midwifery is a really important choice. Here at NUH, there are so many opportunities to find the right career for you. We're a busy, acute Trust, with a huge breadth of clinical areas, offering the opportunity for our nurses and midwives to develop new skills, work in different teams and environments, and meet a variety of patients.
Here are just a few reasons to choose a career in nursing or midwifery at NUH.
We empower our staff
- We have one of the most advanced Shared Governance programmes in the UK, a leadership model which places decision-making power into the hands of frontline staff. Over 80 Councils are in existence across NUH, driving innovation and best practice for our patients and improving the working practices of our clinical teams.
- NUH is one of the largest acute trusts in the UK, offering our nursing and midwifery teams exposure to a huge variety of different roles and specialisms. With a number of rotations and opportunities available, NUH is a great place to explore career opportunities.
- Find your feet quickly at NUH. We have a robust induction process to help you in your new role. As well as a tailored induction, we offer a Preceptorship Programme for newly-qualified nurses and midwives. Healthcare Assistants and Maternity Support Workers are supported with a skills academy programme.
We celebrate our staff
- Celebrating outstanding nursing and midwifery practice is one of our main priorities. In 2017 a monthly DAISY Award was launched to recognise nurses and midwives who have gone above and beyond in their duties to provide care excellence. We now have the TULIP (Touching Unique Lives in Practice) award for nursing and midwifery support workers. The awards are voted for by patients, and are presented in a surprise ceremony hosted by our Chief Nurse, Michelle Rhodes.
- We know how hard Team NUH works to deliver excellent patient care, and we know how important it is that those efforts are recognised and appreciated. You can find out more about value and recognition here.
- We have a number of active clinical academic and research nurses working at NUH, with our work being recognised nationally and internationally.
We develop our staff
- Our Institute of Care Excellence leads on the advancement of continuing professional development, new knowledge and innovation, to deliver world-class care for the people of Nottinghamshire and beyond by developing our nursing teams and practices. The Institute has three main functions: developing excellence in research and innovation, advancing skills, knowledge and education, and implementing the ANCC Magnet® framework to evidence international care excellence. The Institute host a variety of development opportunities over the course of the year, from showcasing days to career drop-ins for one-to-one advice.
- Benefit from ongoing development to keep abreast of the latest innovations in nursing care. We offer a six day Acute Care Skills Programme within the first six months for newly qualified staff, or staff who haven’t worked in acute care within the past three years. We also offer a range of in-house study days in areas such as pain management, end of life care, and medical devices.
- We offer fully-funded apprenticeships at all levels for all of our staff at NUH. For example, Level 2 and 3 Senior HCA apprenticeships, Level 5 Trainee Nursing Associate and Level 7 Graduate Entry Nursing.
- Our Chief Nurse Excellence in Care Fellowship Programme was established in 2016 with two key purposes: staff development and staff retention. The Programme offers competitive scholarships which give nurses one day out of direct patient contact to focus on personal development and leading an improvement project, supported by academic and clinical mentors.
We want to be known for our care excellence
- We are delighted to annouce that we have achieved our ambition to be nationally and internationally recognised for excellence in care, and our journey to Magnet excellence has helped us to achieve this. You can read more about our journey here.