Before you leave home
On the day that you are due to come in to hospital please phone us if you feel unwell, for example with a cough, cold or upset stomach. The number to call will be on your letter.
Personal items you may need:
- Clothing (change of nightwear and underwear, slippers and dressing gown)
- Tablets, medications and inhalers: More information about medication
- Contact details for your next of kin and GP
- Books or magazines
- List of any questions or concerns you want to talk about with your medical team
- Small change
- Any aids, such as glasses or hearing aid
Please don't bring:
- A lot of clothing. Storage space is limited so only bring the clothes you will need for your stay.
- Flammable materials such as loose matches, lighter fuel etc.
- Any valuables or large amounts of money. (Please note that you will need some cash if you wish to use the patient bedside entertainment system.)
Nottingham University Hospitals will not accept liability for loss of or damage to any article kept in your possession.
Help with travel costs
If you receive certain benefits or qualify through the Low Income Scheme, you may be entitled to help with travel costs to and from hospital. Go to www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/healthcosts/pages/travelcosts to find out more.
8 simple steps to help keep you safe
We’ve developed a new Patient Safety Guide to help you prepare for your hospital stay and be safe in our care.
The online guide is easy to navigate and has links to videos, podcasts, leaflets and websites. Find out what we can do together to ensure you have a safe stay at our hospitals.
You can access the guide here.