Support groups and implant companies
- British Cochlear Implant Group (BCIG)
Information on cochlear implantation in the UK, guidelines and the various cochlear implant teams.
- Cochlear Europe Ltd
22/24 Worple Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4DD
Tel:020 8879 4900
Fax: 020 8946 9066
- Cochlear Implanted Children's Support Group
CICS is closely involved with the Nottingham Cochlear Implant Programme and The Ear Foundation. It provides support for parents and has regular meetings.
CICS, Tricia Kemp, 4 Ranelagh Avenue, Barnes, London, SW13 OBY
Tel: 020 8876 8605
- Deafness Research UK
Deafness Research is the UK's only national charity dedicated to helping deaf and hard of hearing people through medical research and education.
- The Ear Foundation
The Ear Foundation at Marjorie Sherman House provides accommodation next to QMC. Using this local accommodation allows patients and their families to arrive refreshed and ready for a full range of assessments after travelling long distances.
- Institute of Hearing Research
Funded by the Medical Research Council, the Institute of Hearing Research (IHR) has its headquarters in Nottingham and has a worldwide reputation in a diverse range of hearing research fields.
- MED-EL UK Ltd
Great Cliffe Court, Dodworth, Barnsley S75 3SP
Tel: 01226 242874
Fax: 01226 771056
- The National Deaf Children's Society
Nottingham Cochlear Implant Programme collaborated with NDCS to develop information materials, some of which are available in other languages.
The National Deaf Children's Society, 15 Dufferin Street, London EC1Y 8UR
Tel: 020 7259 0123
Fax: 020 7251 5020
- Action on Hearing Loss
Action on Hearing Loss provides information and resources for deaf and hard of hearing people and their family, friends and employers.
Websites for listening practice
Theatre & cinema information
This website gives details of captioned performances throughout theUK.
Scene and Sound aims to make theatre more accessible to deaf, deafened, hard of hearing, blind and partially sighted people. Find information about your local theatres including their accessibility and about audio described, captioned and British Sign language interpreted performances.
Details of subtitled and audio described cinema showings throughout the UK.
Working with others
Nottingham works closely with many of the major organisations mentioned above:
- The Ear Foundation: for educational and research purposes.
- National deaf organisations such as The National Deaf Children's Society and The Royal National Institute for Deaf People, developing information materials for parents and professional
- British Cochlear Implant Group - developing quality standards
- National and European Cochlear Implants users' groups
- Professional organisations of all related disciplines
- Deaf organisations, such as the British Deaf Association and The Federation of Deaf People
- Medical Research Council's Institute of Hearing Research
- The major cochlear implant manufacturers
- Cochlear Implanted Children's Support Group (CICS)
- The Ida Institute: resources and tools for professionals to access.