Our laboratory andrology service (which specialises in men’s health) is located within the fertility unit.
- Diagnostic semen analysis as part of a routine infertility investigations
- Post vasectomy semen analysis (PVSA) to check the success of vasectomy operations.
Storage of sperm:
- Before chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy for cancer or other chronic conditions
- Before surgery - particularly to the genital or urinary tract and including vasectomy
- Before assisted conception for those men who find it difficult to provide a specimen ‘to order’ for storage or who cannot be present during treatment
- As part of a surrogacy arrangement
- As part of the sperm donation process.
Making an appointment
For patients receiving NHS treatment:
- Semen analysis/post vasectomy analysis/test wash: Testing must first be requested by a doctor (GP or fertility specialist). The patient then makes the appointment directly with the laboratory by telephone on 0115 924 9924 ext 62749.
- For sperm storage, please make sure that you talk to a member of staff directly. Do not leave a message.
The laboratory is normally open 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).
Out of hours work can also be provided for the hospital’s oncology service if sperm storage is required immediately and chemotherapy cannot be delayed.
Click here for information for private patients.
Form could not be loaded, form is either missing or damaged