Referral pathways for paediatric respiratory patients at Nottingham Children's Hospital
As a team we provide a service for children from a general respiratory perspective that includes various specialist elements. The lead person for specialist areas is outlined below.
Areas of interest (these patients should be directly referred to the named consultant):
- Chronic lung disease of prematurity: Dr Jayesh Bhatt
Key contact nursing Sarah Spencer & Rachael Giles, children's community nurses (there is already a pathway in place with NICU).
- TB and HIV: Professor Alan Smyth
- Congenital lung malformations, vocal cord dysfunction, rheumatic lung disease: Professor Harish Vyas
- Sleep disordered breathing / non invasive ventilation, congenital lung malformations: Dr David Thomas
- Cystic Fibrosis: direct appointments made by one of the CF consultants (Dr Bhatt/Bertenshaw/Smyth) from new born screening or referral from outside the region/ shared care clinic).
If a referral is for one of the above conditions, then please arrange a direct referral to one of the above consultants.
For other conditions, there could be considerable overlap and the referral should be to the consultant of the day.
Any requests for flexible bronchoscopy in paediatrics should be discussed directly with the on service consultant: either Dr Jayesh Bhatt or Professor Alan Smyth.