The Institute of Care Excellence leads the development of new knowledge, innovation and education - driving the delivery of world-class care for the people of Nottinghamshire, the East Midlands, nationally and beyond.
The Institute is central to NUH’s journey to international excellence. Aligned with the Trust’s strategic vision, the Institute of Care Excellence will:
- build a resilient infrastructure and collaborative partnerships to advance and support the delivery of world-class care for patients, carers and families.
- generate new knowledge and innovations in the fields of exemplary professional practice, professional autonomy, shared decision-making and leadership at all levels.
- design and lead developments in education, practice development and research that ensure a culture of innovation, recognition and reward for care excellence.
What is the Institute of Care Excellence?
The Institute is a collaborative of two centres and a programme office designed to lead and support international excellence in nursing and midwifery clinical practice, education and research.
It aims to establish an internationally renowned, and the UK’s first, NHS trust led Institute of Care Excellence (ICE).
What does the Institute of Care Excellence provide?
The institute coordinates and connects all nursing and midwifery innovation, education, research and practice development within the trust. It works in partnership with a wide range of external stakeholders, it provides education, career development programmes and support for nurses and midwives, leading the advancement of professional nursing and midwifery skills, knowledge and international care excellence.
The institute supports and creates new strategic directions for nursing and midwifery care excellence, to ensure that patients, families and carers are partners in decision-making about all activities where possible, to generate, disseminate, and integrate research in delivering evidence-based practice with the ultimate goal of providing safe, timely, efficient, cost-effective, and high-quality care.
The institute monitors and evaluates impact and outcomes of our journey to international excellence, generating new knowledge in the fields of transformational leadership; structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice and innovations and improvements as defined by The ANCC Magnet® Accreditation Programme, standards for excellence in patient care outcomes, organisational performance and nursing/midwifery satisfaction. Visit our Magnet® page here.
The institute provides a range of professional development, training and career development opportunities for nurses, midwives and the care support team within NUH. These include:
Core skills and preceptorship support
- Newly Qualified Preceptorship
- Acute care skills programme
- Recruitment and Staff Nurse rotation programmes
- Return to practice programme
- International recruitment and training for OSCE examinations
- Sector Based Work Academy
- Princes Trust Get Into Programmes
- Clinical HCA apprenticeships
- Trainee nursing associates
- Health Care Assistant Skills Academy
Developing your clinical leadership
- Shared Governance
- Deputy Sister Charge nurse leadership programme
- Ward sister – charge nurse degree top up BSc Nursing leadership and Innovation
- Chief Nurse junior fellows
- Senior career progression
Your clinical and academic development
- Evidence in Practice Course
- Speciality Courses and study days led by Clinical Divisions
- Advanced clinical practice
- Clinical academic and research careers
Travel and coaching opportunities
- Travel scholarship
- Clinical Supervision
- Careers coaching and mentorship