We can all play our part to help limit and prevent the spread of infection.
If you are visiting our hospitals for treatment or to see a loved one please take a look at the advice below.
- If you have not seen our staff clean their hands before they touch you please just say: "Have you cleaned your hands?"
- Always wash your hands after going to the toilet and before touching food
- Please use the alcohol gel provided at the entrances to wards and departments
- Tell a member of staff if you notice anywhere that has not been cleaned properly such as the ward, bathrooms or toilets
- If you have a drip, drain or catheter that becomes sore please check with your nurse if it needs changing
- Please take the whole course of any antibiotic medicines you are given
- You should wash your hair and take a bath or shower as usual at home before coming in for surgery
- If you have diarrhoea please tell the nursing staff
- Please do not visit the hospital if you are unwell with cold-like symptoms or diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms
- Please do not sit on the bed. If there are no chairs available please ask a member of staff to provide you with one
- Any children visiting must be supervised all the time, so that they do not touch equipment or dressings
- Make sure you wash your hands on the ward or use alcohol gel before and after visiting a patient in hospital, and follow advice on notices of side room doors
- Check how many visitors are allowed in at any one time
If you have any concerns or questions about cleanliness or infection control please speak to the nurse-in-charge on the ward or contact our infection prevention and control teams on:
Tel: 0115 9249924
Ext: 63866 (QMC) or 55578 (City Hospital)
You can read our 'Welcome to NUH Visitors Code[pdf] 844KB' document.